First undergraduate class on power and energy systems. Broad introduction to all aspects of how power systems functions, including generation and transmission of electrical energy, power electronics, wind and solar, and electrical machines and drives. For more complete information on the requirements and expectation of the class, see syllabus.
This website is used for most of the materials posted in this class. The Canvas Site is only used for posting grades and homework submission.
Class: Monday, Wednesday, 12:30pm-2:20pm, LOW 101
Instructor: Baosen Zhang, firstname.lastname@example.org, Office: EEB M310, Office Hour: Friday 2pm-3pm
TA: Nina Vincent, Office: EEB 215, Office Hour: Tuesdays 1-2pm, email@example.com
Labs: Mandatory Lab orientation on Oct 15th and Oct 16th (depending on your session), labs starts the week after
- Most of the lectures will be done via the board. There are slides associated with each class, but they may not include all of the material covered on the board. It is your responsibility to make sure that you take down sufficient notes in class.
- I will try to respond to emails within 24 hours. Remember, the TA often reply much faster than I do.
- History of Power Systems, Review of Circuit Theory Slide 1, Slide 2
- Phasor Analysis Slide
- Power Electronics Slide
- Solar Energy Slide
- Wind Energy Slide
- Conventional Generation Hydro, Thermal
- Three Phase Slide
- Transformers Slide
- Synchronous Machines Slide
- Induction Motor Slide
- Safety and Blackouts Slide
Midterm and Finals:
- Midterm: Oct 30th, in class. Solutions
- Final: Dec 4th, in class. It is open book, you may bring books, your notes, cheat sheet… You should also bring a calculator, but no other electronic device of any kind is allowed (including cell phones, tablets, and laptops).
Homework Assignments (best 6 out of 7):
- Homework 1, due Oct 9, 11:59 pm, Solution
- Homework 2, due Oct 16, 11:59 pm, Solution
- Homework 3, due Oct 23, 11:59 pm, Solution
- Homework 4, not collected, Solution
- Homework 5, due Oct 13, 11:59 pm, Solution
- Homework 6, due Oct 20, 11:59 pm, Solution
- Homework 7, due Oct 27, 11:59 pm, Solution
- Homework 8, due Dec 2, 11:59 pm, Solution