Jointly offered as EE 451/551. We will cover how electrical power is obtained from wind, perform basic calculations for wind power based on wind turbine characteristics and terrain, explain what are the main considerations for wind power integration, how to think probabilistically about uncertainties in wind power and solve optimization problems using commercial packages. For more information, see syllabus.
This is the main website for this class. The Canvas Site is only used to post grades and submit homework problems.
Class: TW, 4:30pm-6:20pm, MOR 225
Instructor: Baosen Zhang, firstname.lastname@example.org, Office: EEB M310
TA: Bolun Xu, email@example.com
Midterm: Feb 14th, in class
- I will have office hours on Fridays from 4pm to 5pm.
- Bolun’s office hour is Monday from 2pm to 3pm, EEB 215.
- You’re welcome to schedule other times by emailing one of us.
- Most of the lectures will be done on the board. Corresponding slides would be provided, but the material presented on the board may differ from them.
- Textbook: “Wind Energy: An Introduction”, by Mohamed A. El-Sharkawi
- I will try to respond to emails within 24 hours. Please write EE451 in the subject. Bolun will likely be more responsive.
Schedule of Classes:
- Introduction to power systems with wind energy, slides
- Aerodynamics of Wind Turbines, slides
- Wind Statistics, slides
- Overview of Wind Turbines slides, Power Electronics, slides
- Induction Generator slides, type1, type2, type3
- Synchronous Generator slides, type4
- Integration Issues Wind Penetration, Wind Integration, Stability, Low Voltage Ride Through, reactive power support
- Economic Dispatch Variability, Optimization Problems
- Energy Storage
- Unit Commitment
- Unit Commitment with Recourse
- We will use Matlab with the optimization package (you need to be able to run “linprog”)
- You are welcome to use other optimization tools, but we may not be able to help with the code.
- There will be weekly homework assignments. No late homework would be accepted.
- Grade distribution: final 40%, midterm 30%, homework 30%
- Homework 1, Due 11:59pm, Jan 10, 2018. Submit through Canvas. Solution
- Homework 2, Due 11:59pm, Jan 17, 2018. Submit through Canvas. Solution
- Homework 3, Due 11:59pm, Jan 24, 2018. Submit through Canvas. Solution
- Homework 4, Due 11:59pm, Jan 31, 2018. Submit through Canvas. Solution
- Homework 5, Due 11:59pm, Jan 31, 2018. Submit through Canvas. Solution
- Practice problem for type 4 turbines, with solutions
- Homework 7, Due 11:59pm, Feb 28, 2018. Submit through Canvas